More and more people are choosing to get dental implant crowns, but many are wondering what dental implants are and are they worth the extra expense. While the choice between dental implants and crowns is up to the patient, here is some general information to help familiarize yourself with implant dentistry.
A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically embedded into the jawbone and simulates the natural root of a tooth. This can be done by a general dentist, periodontist, or oral surgeons. A dental implant allows use to mount replacement teeth or a bridge into that area. An implant doesn’t come loose as a denture can, and they don’t have to be anchored to other teeth, like dental bridges.
Here are some benefits of implants:
- Increased quality of life.
- They are a permanent solution
- They are comfortable. You won’t notice they are there.
- Dental implants are more comparable to real teeth.
- You can eat what you want when you want
- You can smile with confidence.
- There is no slipping with dental implant crowns, which can improve appearance and speech
- Implants restoration involves installing a crown that looks like natural teeth.
- They are easier to care for than dentures and bridges
Here are some cons:
- Implants and implant restoration are generally more expensive than other treatment options such as dentures. You should way the pros and cons.
- There is a wide range of prices for implant placement and implant restoration. Make sure to do your research and find a competent dentist that does not overcharge for these services.
- Dental implants take longer to get fitted for than dentures.
If you have more questions, please contact our office at (518) 272-7716 and schedule an appointment.